A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE ON THE KAPITI COAST
The Southward Car Museum is an automobile museum housing a collection of over 400 vehicles, as well as three aircraft, located on Otaihanga Road, Otaihanga, just north of Paraparaumu on the Kapiti Coast.
The museum is a purpose-built building, featuring a 6000 square metre exhibition hall, engineering workshop, gift shop, and small cafe, all set in park-like grounds. The building also includes a 474-seat theatre, and features a 1929 Wurtlitzer theatre organ, which was originally installed in the Civic Theatre in Auckland.
The museum’s collection includes:
- 1895 Benz Velo, imported to New Zealand in 1900.
- 1915 Stutz Indianapolis race car
- Gull-winged Mercedes-Benz
- 1934 Cadillac V-16 Town Cabriolet – once owned by American actress Marlene Dietrich
- 1939 Mercedes-Benz 770 – believed to have been intended as a gift for Edward VIII after the planned German invasion of Britain
- 1950 Cadillac “gangster special” – belonged to gangster Mickey Cohen
- DeLorean – best known from the Back to the Future movie series, the only DeLorean on public display in New Zealand.