Prawns with zingy jalapeno avocado dip
Serve up this colourful dish as a crowd-pleasing starter, perfect for easy festive entertaining and lazy summer days.
- 2 fresh jalapeno chillies
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 65g (1/4 cup) sour cream
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2kg cooked large prawns
- Baby herbs, to serve (optional)
- Edible flowers, to serve (optional)
• Step 1
Deseed and finely chop 1 jalapeno. Set aside. Coarsely chop remaining jalapeno and place in a blender with the avocado, sour cream, lime rind, 1 1⁄2 tablespoons juice, parsley, mint, coriander, garlic, ground cumin and ground coriander. Season well.
• Step 2
With motor running, add oil and water in a slow, steady stream until smooth and well combined, scraping side of blender once. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add 2 tablespoons red onion and most of the reserved jalapeno. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining onion and jalapeno.
• Step 3
Place the prawns on a serving platter. Scatter with the baby herbs and edible flowers, if using. Serve with the dip.